Aggregating outputs

Hi there, I have two questions about aggregating outputs:

1. I am using a csv file for my exposure data and when I use the wizard to build a model I can’t see the field I want to aggregate.

2. My model is undertaking exposure analysis using the is_exposed function. I want to sum the value of buildings that are in my hazard vector (polygon) layer (i.e. are exposed). It seems I can sum the value but this returns both exposed and not exposed.

Thanks!

Hi Nick,

1. The wizard will only show you numeric attributes for some aggregation options. As your input data is from a CSV file, the attributes will default to text type, which can’t be summed. The solution would be to add a line like set-attribute.replacement_cost = float(replacement_cost) to your CSV bookmark in your project.ini file.

2. The simplest option is to filter the results first, so that you only include the exposed buildings. However, this is no good if you also want to count/sum the total portfolio (exposed + unexposed).

Another option is to manually edit the saved model config to do a more advanced aggregation (the wizard only lets you do simple aggregations). E.g. you can change the sum(exposure.replacement_cost) bit in the model config into sum(if_then_else(consequence = 1, exposure.replacement_cost, 0.0))

Note that you’d need to turn the 0.0 into 0 if it’s an integer value rather than a floating-point value.

Another, slightly more advanced, option is to use a bucket() aggregation that gives you total value of both exposed and unexposed assets, e.g.

bucket(pick: consequence = bucket, select: { sum(exposure.replacement_cost) as Total_value }, buckets: { exposed: 1, unexposed: 0 })

Hope that helps.

Tim